6.02.2011

I love NPR. This post has practically nothing to do with this.

I was listening to it on my way from from another successful Clothes Mentor trip (brought home a black and white skirt and white sweater thingy.  Because I knew you were dying to know), and caught the tail end of a bit about how different countries set up their food pyramids.  Specifically, the part I heard was speaking to how the Swiss set up their pyramid.
Our pyramid has sweets and candy and whatnot at the top of the thing, with a label that says "eat sparingly."  What the guest speaker was saying is that it's interesting how the American pyramid tells us to refrain from eating foods, rather than to enjoy in moderation or something of the like.

According to the NPR show, in Switzerland, they have the delicious things like Toblerone at the top, in the "eat sparingly" spot.  But instead of telling you to keep your mitts off, they say "Consume carefully, but with great pleasure."

That is a great way of thinking, if you ask me.  Matter of fact, I think I might have to make it a little motto of mine.  I'm going to apply it to items like Doritos.  Beergaritas.  Reese's Peanut Butter eggs.  Emilio Estevez movies.
It just makes so much sense to me.  I think one of the biggest things that I've learned so far is that this whole weight-loss thing isn't about restricting - not calories, not ice cream.  It's about learning to live while being knowlegible.  Back in the day, I used to just pop things in my mouth without actually considering the impact of it.  It just never really clicked that the average American cheeseburger is twice the size it should be.  Add in the giant bun...and you just have a mess on your hands.  Of course, you have to think about the french fries too.  Yikes.

Now that I know or can somewhat figure out a rough guess of the gut rocking that many foods can cause, it makes it that much easier to try and pay attention to what I'm eating.

I think that's why I like that little phrase.  "Consume carefully, but with great pleasure."  I am now much more careful, and do try to take pleasure in the things that fit into that little tip of the triangle.

Now, on to "Young Guns."

No comments:

Post a Comment