5.02.2011

Suck it.

BMI, you can kiss my butt.

I mean, seriously.  I’m patting myself on the back for what I’ve accomplished so far.  For plenty of people, what I weigh now would send them into panics.  But for me, I’m down to a new 10.  That’s something for me to celebrate.  I’m proud of myself.  This is no small feat.  Knowing that I should probably know all my numbers, I think, “let’s check out what my BMI would look like at the goal that I’m thinking I want to see.”

And then a small part of me dies.  I punch in 150lbs which, for the record, I think could be possibly even skinnier than I think I would be comfortable – I’ve NEVER been that thin in my “I’m done growing” life!  IT’S STILL CONSIDERED OVERWEIGHT.  You have GOT to be kidding me.  I’m not a small-boned, petite lady.  I am muscled and have bigger bones.  Seriously – you should feel my thighs.  Gymnasts have flabbier thighs (possibly a *slight* over-exaggeration…).  If I was a dainty girl, yes.  I could see 150 for a 5’5” woman being overweight still.  But not me, friends.  That’s just not my body type.

I know that I should take things like the BMI with a grain of salt.  But it’s really hard to when I’m proud of myself, and then I see that stupid calculator.  When I went to a doctor a good 3 years ago about losing some weight (ouch…good to see I’ve been successful…), he told me that the medical community generally frowns on using the BMI alone for calculating healthy weight.  He said that the Fed was working out a new kind of calculator that took into account your body type and muscle mass.  I’ve been waiting for that little calculator to surface.  I’m bummed it hasn’t yet, because I could use another calculator to be able to track my weight loss and as another incentive to keep on losing.

So, until they come out with something that’s more accurate, I’ll just be using that scale and measuring tape to track my progress.

Stupid BMI calculator.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the last time I checked the BMI and standards crap, I am supposed to weigh like 105 pounds and if not, I am considered overweight at 115. Yeah, right?! My boobs might have something to say about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bek we are all different sizes and builds, you have to take that stuff with a grain of salt. It is a standard to look at but nothing something that you have to exactly be at. Just remember that being thin or skinny does not mean you are in shape or healthy either. Even before i gained all this extra weight I was always a little bigger than the other runners but still healthy. To each their own, the way it should be!

    ReplyDelete