11.12.2011

Gonna try something...

While perusing Pinterest, I stumbled across a blog about eating "Real Food."  I'm intrigued.  I think I'm going to have to read some more about it, and see if it's something I think we can do.  It'll mean that I'll have to take over more of the cooking duties in the casa, but if it gets me out of doing the dishes, I'll probably survive.  Ha.

I think the gist of the thing is that you cut out the processed crap.  From the looks of things, there are plenty of "challenges" to get yourself into the routine, and then work your way up to just being totally processed-food-free.  If I've learned anything in this process, it's that baby steps are the way to go!  :)

In general, the idea of just getting rid of all the processed food is smart.  In one of her articles, the blogger points out 10 reasons to get rid of the junk.  One of the points she made was that it's just wrong to eat something that's engineered to never rot.  The more I think about it, the more grossed out by the idea of eating food that has so many preservatives in it that it doesn't go bad for ever.  That's just messed up, right??  Ick.  During the class I took at work, Lynda mentioned that they take part in a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture).  Since she mentioned it all those months ago, that's something that I've been thinking a lot about. In case you're not familiar with it, a CSA is an organization or group where you pay a certain amount (I want to say it was $500 or $700 for hers) to have a share in a group of farms.  You'll get weekly shipments of various kinds of fruits and/or veggies.  Some weeks, you'll get food you regularly use; some weeks you'll get some stuff that you have never had before.  Some weeks, the bounty is fantastically wonderful, some weeks it's so-so.  It can be a little bit of a gamble, but it's pre-paid veggies and fruits!  TO YOUR DOOR!  (or, to the CSA group leader's door first...)  Another item to put on my "learn more about this seriously" list.

I mentioned cutting  out the processed to Mr. P.  He kind of rolled his eyes and said, "Yeah?" in a dubious tone. Such a little doubting mustafa.  He'll see.  And he'll like it.

Oh, in case you wanted to know the blog, it's called 100 Days of Real Food.  And the site:  http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/.

Wish me luck!  Anyone have any other information about CSAs or eating Real Food?  What have you done to make strives in healthier, more natural eating?  Is there anything that you could absolutely not live without?

No comments:

Post a Comment